The mission of the Organic Farm School is to empower new farmers in creating the sustainable food system of the future.
We are currently accepting students for the 2017 class of the Organic Farm School.
Located on scenic Whidbey Island in Washington State, the Organic Farm School (OFS) trains aspiring farmers to run successful ecological- and community-focused farms and uses its eight-acre organic farm as a real world example and outdoor classroom. During the full-time, 8-month program, students spend one third of their time attending weekly classes and field trainings, studying a university-developed farming and marketing curriculum, going on bi-weekly field trips and engaging in independent research projects, including the writing of a personal farm business plan. Students spend the balance of their time co-managing the OFS student farm, which focuses on market-scale production of organic vegetables, seed crops, and livestock with cover crops, berries, and bees incorporated as well. Through this balance of academic and experiential studies, students learn and experience all aspects of starting and running a small scale organic farm, from goal setting and business planning to planting, harvesting, and marketing. With this skill and knowledge base, graduates are able to minimize their risk and maximize their success as they enter the growing field of sustainable farmers!
Please visit www.organicfarmschool.org for more information.
Visit http://organicfarmschool.org/apply/ to apply.
- RSS Channel Showcase 5383198
- RSS Channel Showcase 7083148
- RSS Channel Showcase 4107643
- RSS Channel Showcase 1949782
Articles on this Page
- 08/23/16--16:29: _Learn to Farm! Orga...
- 08/25/16--17:20: _Organic Seed Garlic
- 08/22/16--11:41: _CCOF Member and Pub...
- 09/01/16--10:45: _CCOF Marketing Dire...
- 09/01/16--16:09: _Account Manager
- 09/01/16--16:17: _Ecological Diversif...
- 07/25/16--16:27: _Cold & Dry Storage
- 07/25/16--16:22: _Free Ground Squirre...
- 09/26/16--14:49: _HELP WANTED
- 09/26/16--14:58: _500 Tons registered...
- 09/28/16--16:27: _CCOF Organic Farm C...
- 09/29/16--11:21: _CCOF Certification ...
- 10/03/16--17:04: _COORDINATOR, FARM O...
- 10/06/16--09:17: _Apply for CCOF's LL...
- 10/07/16--15:48: _CCOF Sales Supervisor
- 10/07/16--15:51: _CCOF Development Di...
- 10/12/16--10:19: _Fund-a-Farmer Grant...
- 10/17/16--14:29: _Pan O'Rama Farms
- 10/18/16--10:42: _CCOF Foundation Pro...
- 10/18/16--10:45: _CCOF Human Resource...
- 08/23/16--16:29: Learn to Farm! Organic Farm School accepting Student Farmers
- 08/25/16--17:20: Organic Seed Garlic
- 08/22/16--11:41: CCOF Member and Public Outreach Specialist
- 09/01/16--10:45: CCOF Marketing Director
- 09/01/16--16:09: Account Manager
- 09/01/16--16:17: Ecological Diversified Farm and Estate Winery For Sale
- 07/25/16--16:27: Cold & Dry Storage
- 07/25/16--16:22: Free Ground Squirrel Control
- 09/26/16--14:49: HELP WANTED
- 09/26/16--14:58: 500 Tons registered certified organic hay - high test
- 09/28/16--16:27: CCOF Organic Farm Certification Specialist
- 09/29/16--11:21: CCOF Certification Operations Assistant
- 10/03/16--17:04: COORDINATOR, FARM OPERATIONS - Santa Rosa Junior College
- 10/06/16--09:17: Apply for CCOF's LLC Management Committee
- 10/07/16--15:48: CCOF Sales Supervisor
- 10/07/16--15:51: CCOF Development Director
- 10/12/16--10:19: Fund-a-Farmer Grants for Livestock and Poultry Farmers
- 10/17/16--14:29: Pan O'Rama Farms
- 10/18/16--10:42: CCOF Foundation Program Specialist
- 10/18/16--10:45: CCOF Human Resources Assistant
The mission of the Organic Farm School is to empower new farmers in creating the sustainable food system of the future.
Organic seed garlic grown on So. California CCOF organic farm, available immediately.
Available strains are Music, Bogatyr, Burgundy Creole: $18 per pound
Please email Eric Holland for availability: email@example.com
The Member and Public Outreach Specialist (Outreach Specialist) coordinates public and member engagement in organizational events, advocacy initiatives, and promotional activities including the CCOF Annual Membership meeting and Educational Conference and organic farm tours. The Outreach Specialist also ensures that CCOF member‐based chapter activity is aligned with the requirements of the CCOF bylaws and with the organization’s mission and strategic priorities.
CCOF seeks an enthusiastic and experienced organizer to drive high levels of public and member engagement in our work to advance organic agriculture for a healthy world.
CCOF is seeking a skilled and experienced Marketing Director with demonstrated experience as a manager of people and projects. The ideal candidate will have a deep knowledge and understanding of organic food, agriculture, certification and non-profit management. He/she will be a big-picture thinker who is decisive and pragmatic. He/she will work collaboratively with staff, committees and other organizations.
Veritable Vegetable is seeking a full time Account Manager to develop and maintain strong relationships with existing customers and to contribute to Sales Department goals.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
• Meet goals established for assigned customer accounts: volume, margin, credits, etc.
• Interact with customers to demonstrate products, explain product features, handle all transactions including sales orders, invoices, credits, etc.
• Recommend products to customers, based on customers' needs and interests
• Answer customers' questions about products, prices, availability, product uses
• Quote standard prices; identify and get approval from Sales Manager for pricing strategies for individual accounts
• Provide ongoing account support: understand customer needs, direct resources as needed, resolve account problems
• Provide customers with product samples
• Monitor sales activity (sales goal, volume, trends, history for each account), analyze activity and prepare reports for Sales Manager
• Conduct in-store visits to provide face-to-face time and visual assessment of store
• Monitor market conditions, and competitors' products, prices, and sales
• 2 years of experience in sales or customer service
• Produce industry experience required; retail produce experience a plus
• Knowledge of produce varieties and seasonality
• Appreciation for the principles of sustainable agriculture and the value of organic produce
• Comfortable with office applications: Word, Excel, Outlook
• Must have a valid driver’s license and be an insurable driver
TO APPLY: Please submit your cover letter and resume to HR@veritablevegetable.com
Unique opportunity: Turn-key farm and winery business. Scenic Western Colorado. Thirty six acres; CCOF certified peaches, apples, wine & table grapes; flock of registered Babydoll sheep for ecological services, breeding stock, wool, and meat; farm-stay accommodations. Complete estate winery with equipment, inventory, and tasting facility. Excellent water rights. Established markets. Ground for expansion. For sale with all farm equipment and many extras to a party who will pick up what we have built, continue and deepen our ecological practices, and take the enterprise to the next level of sustainability. See: Mesa Winds Farm & Winery at: www.westernrange.com
Organic certified cold and dry storage available for Organic products off of Highway 99 in central California near Fresno. Contact Jeff at 559-834-5307 for more information.
High school teacher uses low-power (low-noise) .22 ammo to thin ground squirrel populations on weekends and school holidays. Employs both tripod and bipod to steady rifle, so accurate to 70 yards radius. Ethical, responsible, and experienced. Prefer farms with serious squirrel infestation within 1.5 hours drive from Sacramento.
NEED experienced tractor driver/irrigator to work for family-owned Organic vineyards near Fresno. Inexpensive housing may be available. Please call.
1st crop - 226 tons - Big Bales Alfalfa
2nd crop - 118 tons - Big Bales Alfalfa
2nd crop - 61 tons - Orchard + Alfalfa, Small Bales
2nd crop - 63 tons - Native Meadow, Small Bales
3rd crop - 105 tons - RFV 232 +, Big Bales
CCOF Certification Services, LLC (CCOF) is seeking three (3) Certification Specialists to work in the Santa Cruz, California office performing tasks related to organic farm (crop/livestock) certification. These positions will work within CCOF’s rapidly expanding USDA National Organic Program and internationally accredited organic certification program.
The CCOF Certification Operations Assistant completes a wide range of daily tasks associated with customer service and the certification of organic food. This position will work with various software programs including an online and in-house database. Tasks performed by the Assistant are essential to the certification process including, direct communication with members, data entry, copying, mailing, and writing letters.
Please see attached position description for more details on the position and instructions on how to apply.
Filing Deadline: Friday, November 18, 2016
SALARY: $4,590.00 - $5,582.00 Monthly
The Shone Farm and Agriculture and Natural Resources Department of Santa Rosa Junior College is
seeking a qualified individual with demonstrated agricultural skills to join an outstanding team of faculty
and staff to provide high quality services to our district, our community, and most importantly to our
students. This position will be located at the Shone Farm which is located approximately 10 miles from
the main campus in Santa Rosa; occasional work at the Santa Rosa Campus may also be required as
needed. Under general direction, assists in performing the day-to-day operations of the Shone Farm.
Participates in production of farm products; stewardship of the overall farm site; maintaining and
creating a safe and orderly public farm; coordination of the field production, management and
maintenance of the horticulture field, pasture, forest and landscape; design and implement planting
schedules; and serves as lead worker to other classified staff. Generally, the work schedule will be
between the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Appointments are contingent
upon funding and Board approval.
The Coordinator, Farm Operations is responsible for the oversight and care of landscaping, crop
production and pasture management; maintains, operates and repairs irrigation systems and agricultural equipment; and provides technical assistance to faculty, staff and students.
Shone Farm, 365 acres of farmlands, pasture, vineyards, and riparian forest in the Russian River Valley,
serves the department as an outdoor learning lab and includes a winery and equine facility. In addition to
full-time instructors in each discipline, the department has a large pool of adjunct faculty who are
experts in their respective fields.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Examples of key duties are interpreted as being descriptive and not restrictive in nature. Incumbents
routinely perform approximately 80% of the duties below.
1. Coordinates the work of others in the maintenance of the farm, including vegetable, horticulture,
pasture and landscape plants, irrigation systems, nutrient management and propagation methods.
2. Coordinate orchard management, including pruning, thinning, harvesting, and Integrated Pest
Management (IPM) monitoring and application of approved materials.
3. Oversees the landscape maintenance program; makes decisions regarding the care of the fields,
forest, pasture and grounds; purchases tools, materials and plants.
4. Operates and maintains farm equipment such as tractors, loaders, rototiller, weed-eater, power
tools and mowers, hand tools and other farm implements; installs and maintains irrigation and
water monitoring systems.
5. Processes field records, employee timesheets, and safety training records.
6. Works with faculty and staff to support class projects, laboratory exercises, and student
7. Serves as a lead worker to other classified staff.
8. Coordinates daily
Operate, maintain, and repair equipment used in horticulture, farming and agriculture safely; issue
proper tools, materials, and equipment for use by students and instructors; train others in the use of
equipment and procedures; follow and understand oral and written instructions; maintain cooperative
working relationships; demonstrate interpersonal skills to communicate verbally, and in writing, in a
professional manner to diverse populations, including students, faculty, staff, administrators, farmers and
vendors; balance the dual responsibilities of training others and production on a working demonstration
and education farm; demonstrate sensitivity to, and respect for a diverse population.
Preferred: Bilingual (English/Spanish) abilities.
Sustainable farming systems, techniques and practices; chemical control of weeds, plant and crop
diseases, and insect pests; standard office productivity software; mid-sized farm tractors and the range
of implements suited to row crop production; use and maintenance of small engine equipment such as
chainsaws, mowers and weed whackers.
The CCOF Board of Directors is seeking applications from individuals for appointment to the CCOF Certification Services, LLC Management Committee. The LLC Management Committee is appointed by the board and has the responsibility to control and manage the business and affairs of CCOF Certification Services, LLC.
The board looks for applicants who have a background in the organic industry (preferably with an understanding of organic certification) and who have experience in business management, including human resource, financial, and program management. It is important to note that CCOF-certified members are not eligible for appointment to the LLC Management Committee.
Committee members are appointed for three-year terms. While committee members are not compensated for their participation, they are reimbursed for their CCOF-related expenses. The LLC Management Committee meets once quarterly throughout the year, with other meetings and events occasionally scheduled as needed.
If you would like to learn more about participation on the LLC Management Committee, or if you are interested in completing an application for appointment, contact Cathy Calfo at firstname.lastname@example.org. In order to be considered by the Board of Directors at their November meeting, applications will be due October 31, 2016. Applications will also be accepted for appointment to the committee after the deadline to be considered on an ongoing basis. Read more about our structure on our website.
The Sales Supervisor is a key position within the CCOF marketing and sales team. The primary duties include coordinating and implementing marketing and sales campaigns for each department and branch of the organization. This position is responsible for creating sales plans to meeting strategic organization goals, building membership, and providing strategic solutions for sales efforts including campaigns, tradeshows, and client acquisition.
The Development Director is an experienced fundraising professional who will lead a full range of fundraising and development activities for the CCOF Foundation, a 501(c)3 charitable organization. Annual CCOF Foundation revenue is growing and expected to reach $650,000 in 2017 and $1.5 million by 2019. The Development Director is responsible for implementation of development strategies outlined in the foundation business plan (2017‐2019.)
The Development Director works closely with the Executive Director/CEO and supervises a Development Manager. Resources are budgeted for contracted grant writing. Some shared administrative and marketing support (sponsorship sales, data entry, editing, material production) is available to support development activities. The ideal candidate for this position is a strong team leader who is passionate about organic agriculture. Excellent communication and project management skills are required.
Livestock and Poultry Farmers: Apply for a Fund-a-Farmer grant today!
Are you a livestock or poultry farmer who wants to improve animal welfare on your operation? You may be eligible to receive a Fund-a-Farmer grant from FACT! FACT will award grants of up to $2,500 for two types of projects: Animal Welfare Certification Projects and Pasture Improvement Projects. Check out the grant guidelines for the full details and apply online! Applications are due by November 21, so don’t delay. FACT is also offering a free online information session to help farmers with their applications. Register for the webinar and learn more about this unique funding opportunity.
We are looking for a budding farmer who would like to help us with tree fruits (avocado, pomegranates, blood oranges, etc). and would like to live on our farm and work biodynamically with a local, pioneering CSA. Long-term appreciated as friendships develop!
The Foundation Program Specialist (Program Specialist) coordinates program activities for the CCOF Foundation, a 501 (c) 3 charitable organization. The Program Specialist is responsible for planning and executing all of the Foundation’s grant making and consumer education work.
Under the direct supervision of the Human Resource Manager, the Human Resource Assistant is responsible for general human resource, recruiting, and other employee related tasks in support of CCOF. Typical duties will include recruitment and interview support, onboarding administration and scheduling, providing customer service to CCOF employees regarding human resource and employment questions. Data entry and reporting through HRIS system. Creation of new employee files, support benefits administration, employee file maintenance and other duties as assigned.