Napa Grass Farmer is a beyond organic regenerative meat farm (700 acres) in the heart of wine country, seeking a Production Manager for its third year of operation. The farm is currently serving restaurants and 220+ club members the healthiest best tasting meats in the country. This is not a learn as you go position, you must have serious experience with working on a grass farm for at least one year, or several years engaged with various livestock management positions. This position belongs to someone that has the consistency and fortitude to handle the day after day tasks, executing and directing others to accomplish them promptly, with consistent attention to detail. We need a problem solver, someone with enough critical thinking and resourcefulness to solve tough logistical long term problems. A positive mental attitude is absolutely necessary to ensure your team is happy and resilient when handling any stressful situations. Your work will ensure the weekly meals for hundred’s of families across the valley which will grow to thousands’s across the bay area within the next two years.
The production manager will have 5 key responsibilities:
Budgeting and Planning Yearly Growth of Herds
- Chicken, pork, cattle, and sheep management
- Ability to plan and meet required inventory numbers for sales team
- Must have previous experience planning out years budget for production
The Breeding of Livestock (Sows, Sheep, Cows & Some Chickens)
- Must understand breeding, gestation, and delivery cycles and plan accordingly
- Responsible for bringing in new genetics and culling when necessary
The Raising of Livestock (Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep, Cattle)
- You must know the animals’ ecological diets, lifestyles, and design systems to meet these needs
- Alan Savory’s Holistic Management is a must.
- The scheduling of staff and training of interns
The Delivery of Livestock to the Appropriate Butcher
- This will include late night or early morning loading (well before dawn)
- Loading must be well planed to ensure no stress for livestock.
The Updating of a Farm Operations Manual
- Your work will have a lasting permanent impact as you build and update an operations manual for staff and interns. This will make your job easier as you will be able to effectively pass on tasks to others.
Essentially your goal is to raise the best tasting healthiest meat while improving the environment and giving the animals an amazing life. Incidentally it doesn't hurt to challenge the status quo of the meat industry along the way :)
Position includes base pay with additional commission based on monthly objectives.
Qualified for additional profit sharing after first 2500 hours with the company.
Position requirements include:
- Valid driver’s license
- 2-3 minimal years livestock management experience
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. on a regular basis
- Heavy experience with tractors and other farm related equipment.
- Ready for Irrigation Challenges
- Able to install or direct the installation of Fences, Gates, Pens
- Able to do basic carpentry to repair pens if necessary
- Knowledge of electric fences and solar charging systems
- Dependable to oversee the maintenance and upkeep of vehicles & tractors (no mechanic skill required)
- Soil Knowledge & Holistic Management Knowledge
If you are absolutely confident that this describes who you are and the life work you want to take on, please send a cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com.